Introducing Cocoa for Good
At Hershey, our vision is a world where cocoa farmers and their families are able to live healthy, prosperous lives; where cocoa communities and ecosystems thrive for generations to come.
That’s why we’re launching Cocoa For Good, our strategy for sustainable cocoa.
We’re investing half a billion dollars by 2030 to nourish children, elevate youth, build prosperous communities and preserve natural ecosystems.
Because sustainable cocoa is bigger than the environment – it’s about people and working together to safeguard the world’s cocoa supply, the livelihoods of cocoa farmers and communities around the world.
Together with our partners and cocoa-growing communities, we’re working to holistically address the most pressing issues these communities are facing – from poverty to climate change.
We’re on a mission to:
- Increase access to nutritious foods. Families need access to nutritious foods to live healthy lives and avoid issues like anemia, which affects 1.6 billion people worldwide.
- Eliminate child labor. A symptom of poverty in cocoa communities, children aged 14–17 are at the greatest risk.
- Economically empower women. West African women are 45% of cocoa farm labor, but have less access to training, financial services and land than men.
- Increase agroforestry and shade-grown cocoa. Cocoa grown in the shade is productive for up to 15 years longer than cocoa grown in full sun.
Cocoa For Good builds on the work we’ve already done in cocoa-growing communities by helping to feed families, equipping young people with the skills to succeed, empowering women and men to prosper, and protecting our forests.
We believe a more sustainable cocoa supply will move us toward a more sustainable world. Cocoa For Good is our strategy to get there.
Cocoa For Good will build on, and continue, the progress we’re seeing in cocoa-growing communities. There is much work to be done, and we’re committed to doing our part.
Learn more about Cocoa For Good:
- Download and share our infographic (get printer friendly version).
- Read our press release.
- Read our blog.